Gracie Humaitá (pronounced ooh-my-tá)
or Academia Gracie de Jiu-Jitsu is a Jiu-Jitsu academy on Humaitá Street, in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, founded by Grandmaster Helio Gracie. The Academy offers classes in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, as originally taught by Grandmaster Helio Gracie.
The academy is located inside the Colégio Padre Antonio Vieira, a private Catholic school. What began in this academy later on became the worldwide sport of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It was founded by Helio Gracie after the original Gracie Academy closed its doors in downtown Rio in the 1960s. Today the school focuses primarily in Sport Jiu-Jitsu.
On November 17,2009 the Gracie Competition Team Academy opened for business in San Diego California. The academy is affiliated with Royler Gracie and Gracie Humaita and is run by Professors Regis Lebre and Johnny Faria and of course Royler Gracie is there frequently to conduct classes.
Famous students of the Humaitá Academy include:
- Rolls Gracie – Black Belt
- Rorion Gracie – 9th Degree Red Belt, Founder of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in California.
- Relson Gracie – 8th Degree Red & Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Hawaii.
- Rickson Gracie – 8th Degree Red & Black Belt, Vale Tudo Japan Champion.
- Rolker Gracie – 8th Degree Red & Black Belt, Current instructor at Gracie Humaitá in Brazil
- Pedro Sauer – 8th Degree Red and Black Belt, Head of the Pedro Sauer Jiu-Jitsu Association. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Virginia, and Maryland.
- Carlos Gracie, Jr. – 7th Degree Red & Black Belt, Head of Gracie Barra
- Royler Gracie – 7th Degree Red & Black Belt, ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion, Instructor at Gracie Humaitá in Brazil.
- Royce Gracie – 7th Degree Red & Black Belt, The first Ultimate Fighting Champion.
- Carlos “Caique” Elias – 7th degree Red & Black Belt, head of the Caique Jiu Jitsu network of schools.
- Luis “Limao” Heredia – 5th Degree Black Belt, Teaches in Maui, Hawaii.
- Robin Gracie – 4th Degree Black Belt, Current head of Gracie Barcelona in Spain.
- Megaton Dias – 4th Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Arizona.
- Saulo Ribeiro – 4th Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego, former 6-time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- Eduardo Rocha, 4th degree black belt, owner of Rocha Jiu-Jitsu in Oakland, Ca.
- Cleber Luciano– 4th Degree Black Belt, Owner- Cleber Jiu-Jitsu in Huntington Beach, CA., Served as an assistant coach for Team Ortiz on The Ultimate Fighter Season 11.
- Mauricio Villardo – 3rd Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Wellington, Palm Beach County, Florida.
- Leonardo Xavier – 3rd Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Houston, TX. Multiple time world medalist and former instructor at Gracie Humaita in Brazil.
- Alexandre Ribeiro – 3rd Degree Black Belt, 2008 Openweight Black Belt World Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- Marcelo Rezende – 3rd Degree Black Belt and trainer at Gracie Barra Sydney, Australia
- Rodrigo Pinheiro – 3rd Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in San Antonio, TX
- Leticia Ribeiro – 3rd Degree Black Belt, One of the highest ranking female Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belts in the world, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego, CA.
- Admilson “Juquinha” Brites – 5th Degree Black Belt, teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Brasilia, Brazil. Founder of the Equipe Gracie Juquinha.